Kenya Paediatric Association received a small grant from the International Leagues of Associations Against Rheumatism (ILAR) to support access to rheumatology services in Kenya. This project will support extension of services to Kisumu in conjunction with Gertrude’s Children’s hospital; support translation of information sheets on rheumatic diseases and participation by some students and paediatricians at the rheumatology pre-congress at the KPA Annual Scientific Conference 2023 (ASC). Linked to the outreach service extension to Kisumu is a desire to mentor a paediatrician interested in improving their knowledge and skills in rheumatology so as to be able to care for rheumatology patients in the absence of a paediatric rheumatologist.
The person requirement
- A paediatrician that’s based in the Lake region and member of the KPA lake region branch.
- A senior registrar in the final year of study whose work station is in the Lake region will be considered.
- Availability, willingness and ability to attend a monthly rheumatology clinic in Kisumu.
- Interest in improving knowledge and skills on diagnosis and management of children with rheumatologic disorders.
- Willingness to attend all the rheumatology sessions at the 2023 KPA ASC precongress.
- Willingness to participate in paediatric rheumatology CMEs (held virtually every month by the Paediatric Society of the African League Against Rheumatism (PAFLAR).
- Willingness to be the focal person for care of children with rheumatologic disorders in the region under supervision Paediatric rheumatologist.
- Opportunity to improve skills in caring for children with rheumatologic disorders
- Full payment of registration fees for the KPA 2023 ASC and a small stipend for the days of the conference. This includes access to all paediatric rheumatology sessions at the 2023 PAFLAR scientific congress being held as a pre-conference of the KPA ASC.
- Stipend/Transport reimbursement of Ksh.17,500 for each clinic attended in Kisumu. No other payment will be made to the mentee for this activity. The project will support 10 clinic attendances over the next one year.
- Opportunity to co-author a paper based on the experience and linkage for further learning and training opportunities.
If you are interested, kindly forward your application to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your qualifications as per the above eligibility criteria to reach us before 18th February 2023.